Monday, June 30, 2014

Pursuit of....?

What comes to mind when you hear the word “pursue”?

The first thing that comes to my mind is how I pursued my husband back in 1996.  I would make it a point to talk with him, hang out with him, get him to notice me.  All in the hopes that maybe he would want to date me.  Almost to borderline stalker type fashion.

Which makes sense, really, because the definition of “pursue” is:
To follow and try to catch or capture (someone or something) for usually a long distance or time.

Secondly, I think of the Declaration of Independence that states God has created us with these rights: “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”.

Interesting contrast to what I’m reading in 1 Timothy 6.

Paul is writing to young pastor Timothy just before this verse he warns Timothy not to get wrapped up in pride, money, and possessions.  He reminds Timothy to be content with the food and clothing he has.  Timothy was serving in Ephesus a major city of trade on commerce within the Roman Empire.  It’s no wonder Paul had to remind Timothy not to get wrapped up in pursuing happiness in money and things.  But to be content.

1 Timothy 6:6-7
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.

Questions I’m Asking Myself:
·      How have I gotten sucked into pursuing happiness in money or possessions?
·      How can the pursuit of happiness hinder my ability to be content?
·      What is the benefit that comes from being content?

Paul goes on to tell Timothy what we CAN and SHOULD pursue:
But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.  1 Timothy 6:11

Questions I’m Asking Myself:
·      What would it look like to pursue (to go follow after to catch or capture over a long period of time) righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness – In Christ?
·      How is that different than pursuing my own happiness?





No comments:

Post a Comment